Sunday 24 April 2011

Rest Easy

'What wisdom, what knowledge' I thought watching as the Comet passed overhead. I sat on the balcony just as astounded as the person next to me. I would never experience this again in my life, but I still failed to believe it. It hovered out of sight and I put my lips to her neck as we walked into the house. The last of the night was a blur. Vodka, tits, the sounds of humans.

Driving home the next morning it hit me and on a township road outside of the city, I had to pull over. I stepped out from the truck and hurled the previous night into the ditch. I didn't give a fuck who passed, I sat in that ditch for at least half an hour reflecting. This is what mattered.

That comet was nothing- trickery. Who gives a fuck if we don't see it again, yet I was so astounded. Surely it was just a punchline. I laughed to myself and then realized I was only laughing AT myself. What a fool.

Moving through the endless night, it was aimless just like me. It wasn't smart, it was just matter. Fucking science my friend and I was no different. It burned just like me. An infinite struggle making art of its pity and self loathing. Light another cigarette son, you better enjoy it.

1 comment: